Recent Theatre Kingston productions include The Master Builder, Cherry Docs, Copenhagen and The Winter’s Tale. In the spring of 2005 he was featured as “Bishop” in The Seat Of Your Pants Theatre Company’s critically acclaimed production of the Canadian classic, Billy Bishop Goes to War. Gibson garnered rave reviews for his performance as Leontes in Theatre Kingston's The Winter's Tale:
- ".. one of the best actors of 2004." - The National Post
- “[Gibson’s] mastery of Shakespearean verse is obvious . . . I don’t know why he isn’t at Stratford.” - The Kingston Whig-Standard
- Eye Magazine called his performance “Dora-worthy”, and raved “Matthew Gibson gave the subtlest, most moving interpretation of the difficult role of Leontes this reviewer has ever seen . . . not at Soulpepper, not at Stratford, have I seen this difficult role played so convincingly.”
- "...stellar vocal and physical performance... magnetic." - The Queen's Journal
- "... an awe- inspiring experience." - The Kingston Whig Standard
In addition to his performing career, Matthew is the Artistic Director of Hope Theatre Projects .